Getting help when your circumstances change

Get Help Now Assistance Road Sign

We know lots of people’s circumstances have changed since lockdown. Many people have been placed on furlough schemes and others have been made unemployed or unable to work.

A range of support and advice options are available for people who have had a change in their employment circumstances.

Where to get help and advice

If you’re helping someone who is concerned or unsure about what support they (or their family) can access, please share this information and guidance.

BetterOff Kirklees

BetterOff provides information on benefits entitlement for people who live in Kirklees, as well as help with applying online. BetterOff also provides information on how to find and apply for jobs.

BetterOff Kirklees

Kirklees Citizens Advice

Our local Citizens Advice is still operating and can provide general advice. Citizens Advice also have specialist services for issues like benefits entitlement, debt, homelessness and employment.

Kirklees Citizens Advice & Law Centre

What to do when your circumstances change

Where someone’s employment circumstances have changed, they should inform all relevant organisations and services. This could be Government services such as HMRC and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), and Kirklees Council services such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or the Local Welfare Provision (LWP) team. Not reporting these changes could result in benefit overpayments, which will need to be repaid.

By declaring any changes, people will be able to access the right support.

Not declaring a change in circumstances means potentially creating benefit overpayments. It could also mean missing out on Free School Meals, Universal Credit, support with Council Tax, rent or mortgage interest relief, and other financial support.

The best way to be sure is to encourage people to visit BetterOff Kirklees or our local Citizens Advice websites or helplines. This is where people can get help with working out what they are entitled to.

Citizens Advice

Kirklees Citizens Advice & Law Centre

People who are experiencing issues with their tenancies or employment can get advice from Kirklees Citizens Advice & Law Centre, who currently have good capacity to support people.

Citizens Advice can offer general advice on all social welfare issues, delivered by staff who are working from home and who will need to call or email you back. This can be accessed in 3 ways:

  • Visit the website:  where there is an online contact form
  • Telephone: 0344 848 7970 – this will go through to the Citizens Advice call centre who can pass details back to local staff.
  • Organisations and councillors can make a direct referral by email:

There are full details on the Citizens Advice website about the more specialist advice on offer, including:

  • Debt
  • Housing (with a focus on homelessness – other housing queries should be directed to Fusion, Tel. 01924 663541)
  • Community Care
  • Discrimination
  • Asylum (NOT other immigration advice)
  • EU Settlement Scheme
  • Employment – direct advice number 01924 868147